Because of the negative effects of the Mamasapano Tragedy on the Peace Process between the Government of the Philippines (GPH) and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF), leaders from various sectors of Philippines society gathered to help the peace talks back on track. A Citizen’s Peace Council was formed.
Its objectives are as follows:
- Assert citizens’ support for peace
- Affirm the validity of pursuing a law to govern, with meaning and authority, the autonomous Bangsamoro region
- Clarify contentious issues which may have derailed the process as a proactive way of contributing to positive dialogue to jumpstart the search for peace
- Ascertain the worthiness of Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) as the needed implementing legislation of the Comprehensive Agreement of the Bangsamoro (CAB) signed in Malacanang
- A lot of trust was created that led to the crafting of the framework of the BBL. That
trust needs to be rebuilt to allow the process moving again. This group could help
PeaceBuilders Community was one of the non-government organizations who was invited to participate in this national peacebuilding endeavor along with other leaders from key sectors as business, the academe, military, government, media, church, etc.